Occurrence of Low Value Bycatch in Trawl Fisheries off Karnataka, India

Mahesh, V and Benakappa, S and Dineshbabu, A P and Kumar Naik, A S and Vijayakumar, M E and Khavi, Muttappa (2017) Occurrence of Low Value Bycatch in Trawl Fisheries off Karnataka, India. Fishery Technology, 54 (4). pp. 227-236.

[img] Text
Dineshbabu_2017_FISHERY TECHNOLOGY_54_Occurrence of Low Value Bycatch in Trawl Fisheries off Karnataka.pdf
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (245kB) | Request a copy | Please mail the copy request to cmfrilibrary@gmail.com
Official URL: http://epubs.icar.org.in/ejournal/index.php/FT/art...
Related URLs:


    Bottom trawling in the most effective method of shrimp capture but highly intensive trawling adversely affects benthic ecology and biodiversity. The present study is aimed to throw light on low value bycatch (LVB) landings and catch composition of trawl boats, at Mangaluru fisheries harbour. The quantity of fish landings by single day trawlers (SDT) during 2012-14 was 2 151.3 t y-1, of which 61.8% was considered as edible grade and 38.2% was LVB. Multiday trawlers (MDT) landed an estimated 165917.2 t of fishes/yr, out of which 79.6% were marked for edible use and remaining 20.4% was landed as LVB. LVB to target group ratio for SDT and MDT landings was 1:1.66 and 1:3.93, respectively. The LVB of MDT consisted of 121 finfishes belonging to 82 genera, 55 families and 13 orders. An estimated 47.53% of the finfish LVB landing by weight (56.1% by number) was contributed by juveniles of commercially important species and the estimated resource loss was 14044 t by weight and 11000 million in number. From the fishery resource conservation and sustainability point of view, the magnitude of resource damage due to trawl bycatch is alarmingly increasing. The study recommends using trawl nets with 35 mm square mesh codend, effort reduction in critical fishing grounds and adoption of Juvenile Fish Excluder cum Shrimp Sorting Device (JFE-SSD) which minimizes juvenile fish catch.

    Item Type: Article
    Uncontrolled Keywords: Trawl landings, bycatch, resource loss, codend mesh, Mangaluru
    Subjects: Marine Fisheries
    Divisions: CMFRI-Kozhikode
    Depositing User: Arun Surendran
    Date Deposited: 04 Oct 2017 08:43
    Last Modified: 31 Oct 2017 04:37
    URI: http://eprints.cmfri.org.in/id/eprint/12234

    Actions (login required)

    View Item View Item