Seaweed resource potential of Lakshadweep

Kaladharan, P (2001) Seaweed resource potential of Lakshadweep. Geological Survey of India Special Publication, 56. pp. 121-124.

[img]
Preview
HTML
Article_01.pdf

Download (322kB)
[img]
Preview
PDF
Article_01.pdf

Download (322kB)
Related URLs:

    Abstract

    Resource assessment surveys carried out by the Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute, Bhavnagar and by the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi indicate nearly 10000 to 19000 tonnes (wet biomass) of standmg crop of seaweeds are available in 12 atolls of the Laccadive Archipelago. comprising 114 species belonging to 62 genera. Of these resources, 25% of the standing crop of seaweeds are conlmercially important and can be exploited for the production of valuable phycocolloids such as agar-agar and alginic acid. The other 75% include edible and carrageenan yielding potential resources. These resources can be taped for industrial purposes either by regulated harvest or by attempting mariculture in the lagoon

    Item Type: Article
    Uncontrolled Keywords: Seaweed resource potential; Lakshadweep
    Subjects: Algae > Seaweed
    Divisions: CMFRI-Kochi > Fishery Environment
    Subject Area > CMFRI Brochures > CMFRI-Kochi > Fishery Environment
    CMFRI-Kochi > Fishery Environment
    Depositing User: Arun Surendran
    Date Deposited: 03 Nov 2010 07:28
    Last Modified: 09 Sep 2015 15:35
    URI: http://eprints.cmfri.org.in/id/eprint/5973

    Actions (login required)

    View Item View Item