Genetic Stock Characterization of Fish Using Molecular Markers

Gopalakrishnan, A (2017) Genetic Stock Characterization of Fish Using Molecular Markers. In: Winter School on Structure and Function of the Marine Ecosystem : Fisheries, 1-21 December 2017, Kochi.

[img]
Preview
Text
Winter School on Structure and Functions of Ecosystem_38.pdf

Download (276kB) | Preview
Related URLs:

    Abstract

    Accurate Identification of genetic resources is necessary for detecting new species and varieties for products of commercial value. Fish, as a group, apart from their economic value from a biodiversity viewpoint, have the highest species diversity among all vertebrate taxa. They exhibit enormous diversity in size, shape, biology and in the habitats they occupy. In terms of habitat diversity, fishes live in almost all conceivable aquatic habitats, ranging from Antarctic waters to desert springs. Of the 62,305 species of vertebrates recognized world over, 34,090 (nearly 52%) are valid fish species; a great majority of them (97%) are bony fishes and the remaining (3%) are cartilaginous (sharks and rays) and jawless fishes (lampreys and hagfishes). Further, on an average, 300 new fish species are described each year, and global surveys indicate that there could well be at least 5,000 species more to be discovered.

    Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
    Subjects: Fish and Fisheries > Fish Genetics
    Divisions: CMFRI-Kochi > Marine Capture > Fishery Resource Assessment
    Subject Area > CMFRI > CMFRI-Kochi > Marine Capture > Fishery Resource Assessment
    CMFRI-Kochi > Marine Capture > Fishery Resource Assessment
    Subject Area > CMFRI-Kochi > Marine Capture > Fishery Resource Assessment
    Depositing User: Arun Surendran
    Date Deposited: 28 May 2018 10:17
    Last Modified: 28 May 2018 10:17
    URI: http://eprints.cmfri.org.in/id/eprint/12778

    Actions (login required)

    View Item View Item